Thursday, November 4, 2010

#NaNoWriMo Update: Expletives Galore!

First of all, I have to apologize to friends and family. One thing I did not get around to before midnight on October 31st was emailing all of you and warning you that I would be pretty much falling off the face of the earth for a month. Again. But I'm hoping most of you know me well enough to expect this yearly snub and forgive me for it. I hope. Pretty please.

As for NaNo, things are going swimmingly. They didn't start out that way however. On the 31st, just before bed I went online to quickly check my email, and what did I find? My email program wasn't working! Not only that, but apparently ALL of my office programs were due to expire at midnight.

Um...WHAT!?

So I spent a few hours into the night trying to figure things out, to no avail. In the morning, I woke up early, pretty much sleepless, and very, very frustrated. I started to work on my brand new novel anyway...in Notepad. Ugh. Have you ever tried to use Notepad for more than a paragraph? I say it again. Ugh.

So you won't blame me, I'm sure, for starting my manuscript with a word starting with "F". (I'm serious). But the funny thing is, aside from my anger, frustration, and generally just plain pissy attitude, soon I was sailing into my new manuscript and actually having fun with it. Because the character whose point of view I'm writing in this time is very different from all the others I've written (Tessa from Losing Faith, in case you're interested) I've found that using an expletive or two (or eight or nine) helps break my pattern and get me into the voice of Tessa right away. I don't talk like this in real life. I mean, I"m not Hannah Moskowitz (LOL, kidding, Hannah!), so it breaks me away from what feels like my default writing voice.  I think (or hope) many of these will be removed in later drafts. But who knows!

For now, I'm starting each day's writing with a &%$#* or a #&@*! and it seems to be working well! But Tessa is more that just a head full of swear words and I'm slowly finding more and more about her.

Any interesting tricks you've learned to get your head into your character?

FYI - I did get my Office programs up and running again (Thanks, Duane) and I'm feeling much less like I need to use that vocabulary - now it's purely Tessa! Oh, and check out my fancy new NaNoWriMo widget on the right sidebar of my Blogger blog! I'm very excited to pass the 10k mark, hopefully today!!!

6 comments:

  1. Ahaha! Oh man, I laughed at your comment about Hannah. (We love you, Hannah.) But srsly, whatever gets you in character is great, so I say, expletives FTW!! (Also, I kinda wish I was doing NaNo, but I really, really want to finish my current WIP & just couldn't put it off to start something new for Nov. Maybe next year....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice.
    I am getting into my character's head pretty easily because it is very loosely based on stuff that has happened in my life (though I am fictionalizing a lot)

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a last minute computer glitch to turn you on your head! gGod luck with getting to 10K! I hope to end today with over 10K, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to get over the technology hurdle! Happy NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete