Thursday, October 20, 2011

#SIWC Madness!

Last night I was excitedly getting ready to go to the Surrey International Writer's Conference, when an email popped up in my inbox from the conference coordinator. The email was instructing all of us "Master Class Attendees" to arrive plenty early today. Why, you ask?

Because--I kid you not--Bill Clinton and George W. Bush would be sharing the hotel with us today.

So I arrived early, as instructed, to this:





In case you can't make it out in the pictures, there are protestors galore (and I'm not going to repeat the things they are yelling!), TV, cameras, there are police in neon jackets everywhere and secret-servicey guys-- complete with the dark suits and little earpieces--throughout the hotel. In our usual "pitch" room, they're right now having the Mayor's lunch with the presidents.

This is just my arrival and it's already very exciting! Can't wait to see what's in store for the rest of the conference!!

3 comments:

  1. I read of the Summit meeting in late September but didn't put two and two together until last weekend. I asked kc dyer if "things were under control," and Sunday night she messaged that it was. But I'm sure the possible disruption for attendees was a concern for the committee. Glad to see it hasn't had a negative impact. With all the security around you'll be feeling like you're in the midst of an adventure novel! How appropriate! Have a wonderful weekend. I really wish I could be there this year, but am definitely planning for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. W-O-W! I can't imagine the mess having those dignitaries there would make!

    Hope you have a great time. I enjoyed that conference when I went in 2005. :)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome and cool! Great way to start the conference - hanging out with presidents!

    ReplyDelete