Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Would You Rather Wednesday: Rejection

First, don't forget to check in for March Madness! Today's check in is right here.

If you're a writer trying to get published, or even one who has been published, you've probably faced rejection. Even if you haven't pursued publishing, you've probably faced rejection in some area. It's one of those common denominator experiences of being human.

It's never pleasant. So none of these are particularly appealing options, but you have to pick the lesser evil:
1. Would you rather...be the reject-or or the reject-ee?

2. Would you rather...be rejected in a long, heartfelt way that you know you and your rejector will remember forever, or in a short, sweet way that you will both easily forget?

3. Would you rather...receive detailed but harsh reasons of why you're being rejected, or oodles of praise about your good points to soften the blow?

And one more bonus question...Would you rather be rejected by mail, email, phone, or in person?

7 comments:

  1. One order of oodles of praise to go, please, but make it snappy, I'm in a hurry! (Rip that band-aid off fast, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Rejectee, hands down.
    2. Short, sweet. Done. Move on.
    3. Detailed reasons. But still, brief: See #2
    Bonus. E-mail - for sure. Good news comes by phone, bad news comes by e-mail. That is the rule. Or it should be - I've been rejected by phone and it sucks. A lot.

    Fun survey, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. The rejectee. I am HORRIBLE at saying no to people. I'd probably be so pathetic about it that the person I was trying to reject would either a) think I was actually accepting them, or b) be so put off by my sorry display that they would eagerly accept the rejection just to get rid of me.

    2. A long, heartfelt way for sure.

    3. Detailed but harsh reasons. Give me the truth, and I'll love you for it.

    Rejections by email are fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rejectee, for sure. Short & sweet, including the reasons why, by phone if it's a big-deal thing, email for not-so-big things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, scrap the phone thing -- big-deal stuff should be in person, when possible. Email for all else. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd want an email rejection, long and heartfelt, that included both the stuff that worked as well as details on what did not.

    Oh, and a request to revise and resubmit would be nice too. ;->

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I think I'd have too much trouble giving out rejections. I guess I'll never be an agent.

    2. I think I'd prefer the long rejection. I'll be thinking about it for a while, and a short one has less explanation.

    3. I'd rather hear the unvarnished truth about my rejection, but I wouldn't mind a little sugar along with it!

    ~Debbie

    ReplyDelete