Sunday, May 15, 2011

Update

I wanted to give a quick update, but I'm not thinking very clearly, so I may just do this in point form.

The "Not Going to BEA Contest" is still on. Scroll down for details and feel free to keep entering/spreading the word. I may be a little late getting back here to draw a name and announce a winner, but I promise I will get to it eventually.

I have a few author interviews pre-scheduled to post on the blog, but other than that, I probably won't be around much for a little while.

Some of you may have heard, but for those who haven't...I was already having a very difficult month, with my health and other things. Apparently things were only going to get harder.

On Thursday afternoon my dad passed away suddenly. Some of you may have already heard,maybe some haven't, but I've been getting lots of emails from people who know me and/or my family well (some very kind words - thank you!) and may want some details. If this isn't you, please feel free to skip the rest of this post and I'll see you again when I'm back to blogging.

The details: Thursday morning my dad went to work on a job appraising a group of seven buildings (he's a real estate appraiser). At around 11:30 he went into one building alone, we think to take some pictures. The building had no electricity, and he was found around four o-clock in a very dark part of the building. He had taken a fall down a long flight of stairs and was unconscious. After being rushed to the local hospital, he was still unconscious and we were told he had several broken bones as well as two skull fractures. They rushed him by ambulance to another bigger hospital to undergo neural surgery. The doctors warned us that he may not survive the ambulance ride. Unfortunately his heart stopped in the ambulance on the way. They were able to restart it for a short time, but it didn't last.

We are all very shocked, we miss him terribly, and it continues to hit us again and again each day. We have a small but very close family, and we are all pulling together to get through it. I was very close to my dad--he was one of the best and most selfless people I've had the privilege of knowing--but each day is getting a little bit better, a little bit easier.

Please go tell all your loved ones how important they are to you. I know my dad knew how much we loved him, but still, I can't help wishing I had one more day to spend with him, one more time to say all the important things.

Thank you all for your good thoughts and prayers for my family during this time. We appreciate it so much, I can't even tell you.

13 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss, Denise. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your lose. You are in my prayers.

    Stuckinbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss Denise. I wish you and your family well during this hard time. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry, Denise. I'll pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry, Denise. I'm wishing you and your family moments of peace. Off to hug mine.

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very sorry to hear this Denise. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know there are no words, but I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise, I am so sorry about your father. Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so, so sorry to hear about your loss, Denise. Your dad sounds like a wonderful guy. My condolences to you and the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a horrible tragedy--my heart goes out to you, Denise. Wishing you comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry Denise. My thoughts are with you, and I wish you and your family peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, what a tregedy. I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to hear this, Denise. Shana told me at BEA. I missed seeing you there this year.

    ReplyDelete