Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Sunday, October 16, 2011

The iPod Anti-Connection

I was at the gym yesterday, rockin out to the Freaky Friday soundtrack on my iPod, my ear buds blocking out the rest of gym-goings-ons. Now I like my solitude--boy, do I like my solitude--but just this flash of an image came into my brain of days gone by when I'd come for a workout, look across the gym and see I'm not the only who's bopping my head to whatever is on the radio station. There was just a second of connection, and I was thinking about how I miss that a little bit. We're off in our own worlds now, always busy, getting things done, looking for the quickest means to get things done, but I think something gets lost. How few people still share connections in everyday life?


My husband has always remembered people's birthdays--it's always been his thing, and people have always appreciated him for it. This morning he said he thought that Facebook has kind of ruined that for him. Everybody remembers birthdays now, because their computer tells them to, and everybody sends a (usually) meaningless birthday message. I think this falls into the same category.

This all got me to thinking. The great thing about books, at least as an author, is that I feel like that connection hasn't been lost. When I'm working through each of my books, I regularly think about the real people who are going through similar things and how they might find a connection, even if I never hear about it.

Anyway, this is all just me blabbering on. Do you see areas that digitizing everything is taking away connections, or is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely see what you are talking about. It's one of the reasons I left Facebook for a bit. I depending on it as my only means of communication (sure I 'remembered' the birthday of someone I went to high school with, but not my sister-in-law cause she doesn't have Facebook). I remember actually thinking it'd just be easier if my grandparents were on Facebook so I could communicate with them! They live two minutes away from me, in the same town! Personally I took that as a red flag. :)

    Digitizing is great in the grand scheme but we definitely lose something in the process.

    ReplyDelete