Friday, September 28, 2012

How Fast Do You Read?



I just took this test, which I found incredibly interesting (Thanks to I'm a Reader Not a Writer blog for pointing me there!)

It's a tool from Staples to test how fast you read. I've known for a long time that I'm not a particularly fast reader, but I honestly thought that with all the reading I've done in the past few years, I probably had at least improved. Alas, I'm still below the national average. Here is my report:

As you can see, I read about 250 words per minute. That's not skimming. I did get the following three comprehension questions correct, so I obviously took in some of what I read, even though it didn't interest me.

People ask me often how I set crazy goals like reading a hundred books per year, if I'm not a fast reader. My only answer to this is audiobooks. Well, that and Kindle, since my Kindle has a text to speech capability that allows me to listen to books (even my own works in progress, which is really cool.)

I don't get a lot of uninterrupted time to read (and it would take a lot at my reading rate) but I do spend time driving and at the gym, at my son's judo practices, etc, and these allow me time to listen to books, if not to read them.

Are you interested in finding out how you fare against the national average? There's a link to the test below. I hope you'll come back and tell me how it went for you!



ereader test


 Source: Staples eReader Department

11 comments:

  1. Eek I just took it :) Apparently I read 635 words a minute the first time, 677 words the second time, and then 770 words the third time >.< I'm going with the first one lol I think that's the most accurate :P I read fast for my age apparently O_O Although I only got 2 out of 3 questions right. I probably don't absorb anything while I'm reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just...I don't even know how to respond to those numbers!I hope you read, like, 800 books a year. it would only be right.

      Delete
  2. So I read 382 words per minute with 100% accuracy. But you already knew I was a fast reader. That was with distractions. If I'm really into a book and things are all quiet, it goes faster. Unless of course I'm beta-reading. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably be very jealous of your reading speed if I didn't know there was something in it for me. LOL.

      Delete
  3. What a fun test. I got 360 words/minute with 100% accuracy.

    Eileen, I can't even comprehend your numbers? WOW! JEALOUS! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting more and more embarrassed about posting my numbers. LOL. Thanks for chiming in, though. 360 is great!

      Delete
  4. I consider myself a slow reader and was surprised that I got 314 words a minute (and got the questions right). I wish I could read faster, but I retain nothing when I try. That includes my own work, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I really wish I could read faster. But 314 is pretty good. I admit, I'm feeling like I should go try again...

      Delete
  5. This was soo much fun LOL I got 448 words per minute but I only got 2 out of 3 question right. :D Thanks for sharing this ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always considered myself a fairly slow reader. With the huge number of books in my TBR pile, I wish I was faster! Alas, I got 292. Got the questions right, at least. ;)

    Thanks for posting -- cool link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got 540 and all 3 questions. I wish I could speed read! That would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete