Monday, July 22, 2013

Green Gas, Aliens, and Other Unearthly Things!

One of my great writing friends just had a book come out! Well...she and her little alien friend actually released this book. And to celebrate, I'd like to welcome my new buddy Ace Hansen to the blog for a short interview. Here's his new book:



Welcome, Ace! What gave you the idea to write about green gas, of all things? 
A breath mint commercial. You know the one, right? We watch a lot of Earth TV on our planet. 

Do you have problems with gas or do your friends have problems with gas? 
Who doesn't have a problem with gas? On my planet we all pass green gas, but I guess you Earthlings fart invisibly. So strange! 

Or did the green reveal itself to you in a strange (and stinky) dream? 
Farts have never invaded my dream world. Have they invaded yours?


They have invaded my dreams, Ace, but sometimes I wonder if that's because I sleep next to my husband. I know JULIUS CAESAR BROWN AND THE GREEN GAS MYSTERY was not the original title of this book. Can you tell us a little bit about how the title has transformed? 
The original title was WHEN FARTS TURNED GREEN-A GLOBAL GAS CRISIS but apparently there are some of you out there who have a problem with the "f" word, so we had to change the title in order not to scare some of you Earthlings off. 

Do you have any advice for writers trying to plot a mystery, with or without green gas? 
Make the solution both surprising and interesting. We aliens are super smart readers and can usually figure out the answer to your mysteries within the first page.

Great advice! What’s the most surprising thing about your path to publication? 
That people exist who don't think green gas is funny! What's wrong with them?

I agree! This is your first middle grade novel. Do you have others in the works, and if so, do they involve any stinky substances? 
Maybe. 

What are you working on now? 
My spaceship. It broke down a couple of years ago and I can't wait to get back to my home planet. I love you Earthlings, but I miss my favorite foods. Gummy worms are the closest thing you've got, but I'm afraid I'm going to eat up all of them on your planet before I can get home!

If you'd like to learn more about Ace (of course you do!) you can find him on:



If you'd like to purchase JULIUS CAESAR BROWN AND THE GREEN GAS MYSTERY it's available as an ebook now and is coming in print Fall 2013:


Thanks so much for visiting Ace (and Angelina!) and all the very best with your debut!

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Great interview! Thanks, Ace and Denise. And really??...there are people who don't find green gas funny?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! What's wrong with them, right?

      Delete
  2. Hey, Ace... you can have my share of any gummy worms you find around here. I can't stomach the thought of them. Even eating gummy bears makes me feel a little squeamish.

    There's just nothing polite about gas, especially the green kind, and for that very reason I know a few youngsters who would giggle all the way through a book about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on Twitter that Ace is really dying for some gummy worms, so I'm sure he will appreciate your offer, Carol. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete