Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Girlfriends Cyber Circuit Presents DEMONOSITY by Amanda Ashby

I'm excited to welcome another GCC author today, Amanda Ashby, with her latest release:

The Black Rose–a powerful ancient force–has been let loose and has taken up residence in Celeste Gibson, popular girl at Cassidy Carter-Lewis’ high school. Thomas Delacroix is the spirit of a fourteenth-century knight who is devoted to protecting the Black Rose, but he needs a contemporary living being to take on the challenge. That’s where Cassidy comes in.


She’s a quirky high school junior who just wants to dress in her vintage clothes, hang out with her best friend, and take care of her father, who is recovering from surgery. She’s the last person who would ever volunteer for such a task, but no one actually asked her.  Now, like it or not, she finds herself training before dawn and battling demons at parties, the mall, and even at school. But hey, no one ever said high school was going to be easy.

WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING

“With interesting characters and a fresh plot, this absorbing read addresses everything from peer pressure to intelligent guy pals to self-reliance, with just enough paranormal activity to maintain an edge. The message never overwhelms the fun in this frothy paranormal romp.” Kirkus Reviews

“Ashby’s frothy romp percolates with lighthearted humor and droll dialogue, while an involving plot and themes exploring friendship and self-reliance add satisfying substance.” School Library Journal

THE INTERVIEW
Amanda stopped by for a short interview to talk about her new book:

Welcome, Amanda! Can you tell me about your book in seven words or less.
Fun bundle of action, romance and adventure.

Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in your novel and why? 
I love Nash. He’s my heroine’s best friend and not only is he an asexual genius with striking good looks (that are of course wasted on anyone else) but he also walks around in big highwaymen coats and an attitude. I also might have listened to a lot of Adam Ant while I was writing him!

What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?
Do as I say not as I do – hahahaha! Actually, I’m not even joking because I’m a terrible writer. I lack discipline and I break the rules all the time (usually without even knowing they were a rule in the first place!) But in all seriousness, despite my flaws I was always determined to get published, so I guess my only advice is that if this is what you want then you have to find a way to fight for it.

What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?
I avoided writing altogether. I was always really good at English and read anything I could get my hands on but it never occurred to me to write in my spare time. I was probably too busy planning my wedding to Shaun Cassidy!

What's the last book you read that you really loved?
I’ve just finished The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith/JK Rowling and I really adored it. I also really loved The Casual Vacancy as well, which was dark, depressing and kind of fantastic! The thing that’s always appealed to me about her writing is that she reminds me of all the English authors that my dad used to read like Jerome K Jerome and PG Wodehouse so it’s a cozy, comforting reminder of my childhood all at the same time!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Amanda Ashby was born in Australia and after spending the last sixteen years dividing her time between England and New Zealand, she’s finally returned home for some sunshine. When she’s not moving country, she likes to write books (okay, she also likes to eat chocolate, watch television and sit around doing not much, but let’s just keep that amongst ourselves, shall we?)

She has a degree in English and Journalism from the University of Queensland and is married with two children. Her debut book, You Had Me at Halo was nominated for a Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice award. Zombie Queen of Newbury High was listed by the New York Public Library’s Stuff for the Teen Age 2010. Fairy Bad Day was selected by Voya as one of their Top Shelf Fiction for Middle School Readers 2012 and was a SCBWI Crystal Kite Award finalist for the Australia/NZ region.

FIND HER





No comments:

Post a Comment