Tuesday, January 24, 2012

NEVER ENOUGH Secrets Revealed...Everchanging Titles!

NEVER ENOUGH will be releasing on July 10th, 2012, which all of a sudden seems so soon! I'm starting a semi-regular new series on my blog called NEVER ENOUGH Secrets, in which--you guessed it--I'll be revealing secrets about this book. There are many, so stay tuned, and I'll only be leaving these secrets up for a short time before sending them into hidden, secret areas of my website!



Today I wanted to start by telling you a little bit about how the title of this book has changed and developed over the years. This is the second novel I've written (I've now written nine, all in various stages of revision) so in the scheme of my writing life, this is a fairly old book.

It's always been about two sisters. It's always revolved around the struggle for beauty and perfection. It's always been a bit of a heartbreaking book. That's why you may find my initial title a little surprising.

OH NO! I THINK I ATE MY SISTER.

I'm serious. There is a fair bit of levity in the book as well as some very serious moments. In the end, this title was much too light for the book (and felt slightly middle grade). This title stuck for about the first year of the evolution of this book.

The second title lasted much longer, and definitely had more of the right feel for the whole book:

APPETITE FOR BEAUTY

I temporarily used some variations of this: APPETITE, BEAUTY, HUNGER, etc., but overall this title lasted until I sold the book to Simon Pulse. And a little bit longer.

Partway through edits on this book, my editor told me that there had been discussion that APPETITE FOR BEAUTY sounded a bit too adult, and they'd be looking for something with more of a YA feel.

I brainstormed about a million ideas. I even made some changes to the book to suit some of these ideas. My favorite of all those I had chosen was TWO ANGRY BIRDS, and there were lots of references to how the sisters were like birds to go with it.

But that was a no go. Other suggestions were, PICTURES OF YOU, PICTURES OF US, PERFECTLY CLAIRE, MY SISTER EXPOSED, OVER-EXPOSURE, LIGHT AND SHADOW, PECKING ORDER, and many, many more.

In the end, it was my fab, wonderful, amazingly brilliant editor, Annette Pollert, who came up with the final, final title...

NEVER ENOUGH!


So there you have it. I've now had the experience that I've heard so much about from other authors. It was kind of a fun experience, in a stressful, terrifying sort of way.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jaye. I agree. I think Simon Pulse does such a great job on covers.

      Delete