Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Monday, November 24, 2014

Don't Miss the Last Check-in of the Year for #WIPMadness!

It has been one CRAZEEE month! Besides hosting our #WIPMadness check-ins, I have drafted a new novel this month, run an online class, organized and participated in several homeschooling events, and still managed to make dinner most days. Those are mostly things that were on top of my regular schedule, but I always say a busy person gets more done, and I think it's true.

I believe we have collaboratively decided to take a break from checking in through December. Our wonderful WIPMadness buddy, Kim Baccellia will take over as host for January.

But before you run off and get swallowed by the holiday season, hang back for a minute. I want to talk to you about a couple of things.

1. On finishing well. Whether you will achieve your November goals or not, I encourage you to finish the month well. What does that mean for you? You have six days left of the month. If you were to use those six days well in working toward your goals, what would that mean for you? Writing for a certain amount of time on each of those days? Or spending an hour or two outlining how you might bring this project to completion at a later date?

2. Think about how you will spur on your creativity through December. It can be a busy month for sure, but I think your inner spirit will be much happier through the month if your creativity does not lie dormant. So if you will be writing, what do you plan to write? If you won't be writing, how do you plan to be creative next month? (It may take some creativity just to answer this question!)

Above all, I wish you all a wonderful holiday season filled with much peace and love, and I'm so thankful that I've been able to spend the last year on this journey with all of you. Writing and publishing are no fun to do alone!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Cheers to all of you! Looking forward to seeing you in the New Year with some shiny new goals!

7 comments:

  1. This Nano run was important to me. It's the first time I've stuck with it and I finished a week early with a novel I love. I'm feeling like a writer after ten years and 6 unpublished novels. Thanks for all your encouragement, Denise. God bless and have a wonderful Christmas. We will own 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that, Ron. Sometimes finishing novels and publishing them has nothing to do with actually feeling a sense of accomplishment. I think it's when we find joy in our creative ventures that we truly feel successful. I'm so glad we "met" and were able to feed into each other's lives this year.

      Delete
  2. If someone asked me what this #wipmadness thing is all about, I think my first response would be 'community'. I know it's meant to be about goals, but being able to share the journey is wonderful.

    It was back in March 2010 when I first joined this group. I think your core members were all YA writers, and I was into adult inspirational romantic suspense and cosy mysteries, but I still received a warm welcome. The ongoing support and camaraderie have been amazing and have kept me focused on my goals when it might have been easier to drift.

    At the speed I write, I'm not going to finish my WIP this week, but I'm continuing with NaNoWriMo to the bitter end and looking forward to adding lots more words. Inevitably, there will be less writing time during December, but I still expect to do some every day. Whenever I find myself bogging down I'll think of your filled-to-the-brim schedule and be inspired. LOL! I don't know how you do it all!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family, Denise, and to all the #wipmadness crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more about this being about community, Carol! I'm so glad you decided to join our group, regardless of its heavy YA contingent, and even happier to hear you have always felt welcome. I truly hope it is that way for all writers.

      All the best in continuing to plod along on your WIP for as long as it takes, and Merry Christmas to you and your family as well, Carol!

      Delete
  3. Finishing well... those are such good and encouraging words to me, perhaps because I feel I can apply them not only to this month's goals, but also to bigger things--life and spirit and long-range goal things. So, thanks for that!

    I do plan to get some writing done in December, but no specific goals. In terms of spurring on creativity, though, I will do that in part by reading a few books I've been longing to get to, and also through refreshing of the mind and spirit during the joy and wonder of the season. :)

    Thanks so much for the check-in posts this month, Denise! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that encourages you, Shari. Reading a few books specifically to spur on creativity sounds like a great plan for December. Maybe I'll aim to do that as well.

      Merry Christmas to you and your family as well, Shari!

      Delete
  4. I got my 50K in this month! Yay!!!! But I'm not 'done' with this novel...yet. Plan to finish by the end of this month.

    Thanks for hosting, Denise! Looking forward to starting the new year with you all. Look forward to a giveaway or two!

    ReplyDelete