Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Monday, January 12, 2015

Evernight Teen Birthday Blog Hop, Featuring Original First Pages of FOREIGN EXCHANGE!

Happy Birthday to EVERNIGHT TEEN!

EVERNIGHT TEEN turns two this month and we’re having a huge party to celebrate! It may be EVERNIGHT TEEN’s birthday, but you get the presents. So, grab a piece of cake, hop from blog-to-blog and discover EVERNIGHT TEEN!

Be sure to visit every stop on the hop and answer each question. The more blogs you hop to, the more chances to win the GRAND PRIZE of an iPad Mini sponsored by EVERNIGHT TEEN (one entry per blog). Plus, hop to each blog for a host of other fabulous prizes.

Have your TBR list handy because we have lots of new titles for you to add, including my featured book, FOREIGN EXCHANGE:


Jamie Monroe has always played it safe. That is, until her live-for-the-moment best friend, Tristan, jets off to Italy on a student exchange program. Left alone with her part-time mother and her disabled brother, Jamie discovers that she is quite capable of taking her own risks, starting with her best friend’s hotter-than-hot older brother, Sawyer. Sawyer and Tristan have been neighbors for years, but as Jamie grows closer to the family she thought she knew, she discovers some pretty big secrets.
As she sinks deeper into their web of pretense, she suspects that her best friend may not be on a safe exchange program at all. Jamie sets off to Europe on a class trip with plans to meet up with Tristan, but when Tristan stops all communication, suddenly no one seems trustworthy, least of all the one person she was starting to trust—Sawyer. 


I had a lot of fun writing about Jamie, Sawyer, and Tristan in many different situations before I found the perfect opening. As a special surprise, I've shared below my very first pages of the first draft of this book. I hope you enjoy this early excerpt!

Chapter One
             It should be illegal for girls over five-seven to wear heels. And I’m not saying that because I’m jealous. Believe me. It’s just that when you’re five-two and not a lesbian, there are better ways to spend your day than staring at forty-eight female breasts.
            And to be honest, they all look the same from this angle.
            But then, I guess that’s the point, isn’t it? To look like a herd of perfect, beautiful, tall bodies. That’s why people will come to this fashion show. To see beautiful bodies in beautiful clothing. That’s why it will pay my way to Spain.
            The actual show isn’t for two weeks, Labor Day Weekend, right before school starts up. It’s billed as a back-to-school event, but looking over the rack of outfits the stores are supplying, I’m sure our crowd will be made up of mainly skanky over-forty women and leery-eyed men.
            “Can these hemlines get any higher?” my best friend Tristan asks, spinning in front of the mirror to see if her underwear shows. If she’s wearing any, that is. If there are two things I’ve learned about models in the last six weeks they’re these:
1.      Models are not shy about their bodies. By not shy, I mean they’d walk through the mall in their own bra, or even without it, if it meant getting to the stage on time.
2.      If models wear any underwear at all, it’s usually thinner than the dental floss in my bathroom cabinet.
“Any cheek, Jamie?” Tristan is the one and only model I’ve ever met who cares at least a little bit about how much of her goods she’s showing. But she’s still ruled by the dental-floss underwear rule.
“Yeah, there’s cheek,” I tell her with a smirk. “But not under the dress.”
If Tristan’s one thing, it’s cheeky. She’s also smart, funny, beautiful, popular, and fiercely loyal. To me. Which means I’m fiercely loyal right back. 

You can read the final version of the first chapter at http://www.denisejaden.com/denisejadenbooks.html

Enter for a chance to win EVERNIGHT TEEN’s GRAND PRIZE of an iPad Mini and my blog prize (a digital copy of FOREIGN EXCHANGE!) by answering this question (be sure to include your email address to be eligible to win):

Have you ever had a good friend who was the opposite of you in some way? In what way was he/she different?





Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...

20 comments:

  1. I have a friend like that now. She's more get it done and it's out of the way and I am it will get done when I get it done.. :) Thanks for the chance,. grandmatinaof2(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise,

    We've been in touch for quite a while, haven't we. Good luck with your continued success in your writing career. And happy birthday ET!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, doesn't do stuff right away

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I haven't yet.
    Thanks for the chance to win!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have had a friend who was more extroverted than I am, and would feel more comfortable in a room of strangers than having a deep, one-on-one conversation.

    melissa {at} yabookshelf {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes she was always a bit of a risk taker. A daredevil , I was always either getting in trouble or hurt by one of her ideas.
    asmith89754@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I have! Everything they would do was for "show" so they could "fit in".
    superstarsportscards(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, lord, yes! A few. But maybe the most interesting one was an old friend, who by the time we were in 11th and 12 grades was SOOO different. She was still very innocent and girly, while I was pretty wild and had dated around a lot! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! My best friend is almost brutally blunt and while I can be pretty blunt myself I generally try to think of a nicer way to put it haha thanks for participating in the hop! saraannn912@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intrigued! Will add this to my TBR list. I have had several 'opposite' best friends ... what my BFF's all have in common with me is distinctive and BIG personalities lol...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a good friend that was more self-confident than me.
    angiek@cfu.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like an interesting read. Thanks for telling me about it. Sure I've had some oppo friends. After all, opposites attract! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My high school BFF was about a foot taller than me, she was also a very passive type who wouldn't say boo to anyone. While not aggressive, I didn't put up with crap.

    acm05atjuno.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My best friend and I are opposite when it comes to a lot of things. She's tall - I'm short. She's very open - I'm much more cynical. She loves having a big family around all the time - I can't stand my small one. We have many things in common too.
    dustykattc@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm pretty shy and don't like a lot of attention on me and I have a friend that loves for everyone to notice her and what she's doing.
    sstrode at scrtc dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Opposite in some way... Haha, that would be my husband. Best friends, but I swear I don't know how. He is a wonderful person, giving all he has for anyone (especially me and our four kids), but he is emotional incompetent. He can never read people. I always have to 'explain'. Drives me batty. :) Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds so good! I love troupes of h falling for her best friends older brother. There my favorite to read!! :D Thank you for sharing it! Definitely adding it to my list! And yes, i did have a best friend whos opposite than me. My shy, i hate attention on me, i dont like going out in public, being around to many people makes me nervous and i have anxiety attacks. My friend on the other hand, loves people, shes incredibly social, goes to parties, loves meeting new people, etc. Shes opposite me in every way. lol Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!
    shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. My best friend and I are opposites in many ways. She is very laid back, go with the flow and I analyze everything. She likes to party and have a good time and I like to sit at home and watch a movie. She is an amazing person and I am thankful that I have her to get me to lighten up. :)
    Thank you for sharing and for participating in the hop.
    trb0917 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete