Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Back to School, Back to...a World of Opportunities

I've been seeing on Facebook, moms who are meeting for pedicures after they get their kids off for their first days at school. As a homeschooling mom, that's not exactly my life! I hear of woodworking and mechanics classes that other public or private school kids are excited about--classes I will never be able to teach. However, it's not all doom-and-gloom either. Last year, my son and I spend the first day of public school on a nearby beach at a Not-Going-Back-to-School Picnic.

I was blessed over the summer to have been invited to speak to many groups of teen writers, including a writers' camp in Penticton, and a week-long event at the Vancouver Public Library. I'm looking forward to several events in October and November as NaNoWriMo approaches. I hope to be able to inspire many writers to try fast drafting, maybe for the first time! I'll give updates on these events closer to time, if you're local and interested in attending.

But back to school... Homeschooling really has afforded us a lot of freedom for different and exciting opportunities. We have spent plenty of time on movie sets in the last year, and I almost never have to say no to a speaking engagement because it interferes with school obligations. Over the summer, my son enjoys catching up with his neighborhood school friends, and I enjoy catching up on some writing projects. This summer, I wrote a first draft of a new novel, plus revised a couple of novels and polished off my first script and entered it into my first screenwriting contest.


This year "Back to School" doesn't mean picnics or other relaxing pastimes for us...but that's because I've had another wonderful opportunity that has come my way. For those of you that don't know, besides writing and homeschooling, I have also performed with a Polynesian dance troupe for many years. And this month, I will be departing with that troupe on a cruise ship to Hawaii, where we will get to perform on board, and then at one of the biggest luaus in Honolulu. I am very excited for this! And while my son doesn't get to come along, he has a new opportunity of his own--becoming more of a self-starter and independent on his learning journey. The reason I started homeschooling in the first place was because I wanted our son to pick up a love for learning from his dad and I, and this, when he's starting to take responsibility for his own schooling, is where I'm really starting to see that love for learning kick in. So while his journey may not be as tropical as mine, I think it is just as life-giving.

So that's a little bit of what Back to School means for me. What does it mean to you? Are you off for a pedicure? Or does life feel even busier when school obligations kick in? Do you have any special traditions you keep to during Back to School times?




1 comment:

  1. I’d looove for you to peruse our 25 blogs;
    however, lemme first explain something:
    my solemn duty, dear, is to serve and honor you…

    I’d also love to giveth unto thee ideas
    simply because I love Trump’s humanity
    (are we sinful mortals greater than God Almighty?)
    Thots you never thot of:
    the picturesque protagonist, par excellence,
    the non-perishables, the luxurious ditzy-glitz:
    the generous, undiluted expansion of d’bizarre;
    the epic endoorphins – an open door to an
    onomatopoeia Vernacular,
    from the high-flying, barnstorming,
    toxic firewurKS from yeee-haw KS
    taking you in a completely new direction
    than where you originally planned!!
    O! the mind doth boggle, girly-whirly!!

    Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
    than to a bold, attractive candle Light??
    Don’t let His extravagant Brilliance be extinguished.
    You’re creative, yes?
    Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote…

    Whether you obtain morality4mortality to wiseabove
    or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
    you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:

    Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no zooillogical-expiration-date?
    An IQ much higher than K2?
    An extraordinarily, anti-establishment-victory
    with both sardonic, satirical wit Who’s savvy
    and avant-guarde-humility??
    Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
    (with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love –
    jump into faith…
    and you’ll VitSee with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
    God believes in you.

    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
    from a super-passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
    nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
    of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

    Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House.

    PS “It is impossible that anyone should NOT receive all that they have believed and hoped to obtain; it gives Me great pleasure when they hope great things from Me and I will always give them more than they expect”
    -our Lord Jesus to Saint Gertrude

    ReplyDelete