Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Sunday, March 22, 2015

March Madness Check-In Day 22 #WIPMadness - How Motivated Are You?

Last week I went for a "hike" with my family. I put "hike" in quotes, because, to be honest, whenever I hear about people going for a "hike," they're usually just talking about going for a walk in the woods.

We have a fairly famous "hike" in the Vancouver area called The Grouse Grind. I know people of all shapes and sizes and athletic abilities who have completed this "hike." We have another trail, a little closer to home that is supposedly about half the length of The Grouse Grind, and my family and I decided to try it as a warm up to help decide if we wanted to give The Grouse Grind a try. You see, The Grouse Grind is so busy with people, that you're not allowed to turn back part way and go downhill. Once you've started it, you must complete the "hike."

So we headed out to The Abby Grind, stocked with a bit of water and sweaters, since it was a cool day. Well, the sweaters came off during the first fifty feet. My eleven-year-old son took off ahead of my husband and I, and I was having trouble keeping up to my husband's giraffe-long legs. But soon my husband petered out. I caught up and then passed him as I put one very slow step in front of the other headed almost straight upward.

My husband was a hesitant participant in this "hike" to begin with, so I wasn't surprised when he said he probably wouldn't push through to the top and planned to turn around. However, my son was now so far ahead of us, above us in the woods of this mountainside, that not only could we not see him, we couldn't even get a reaction from yelling to him.

My lungs were burning, my legs were burning, and I hadn't even reached the halfway mark! But my son was out of reach, my husband was going to be no help in keeping track of him, and so the Mama Bear in me emerged. I sometimes had to stop every four or five steps and pray against heart palpitations, but with my concern for my son in the forefront of my mind, I made it to the top of that mountain!

Sometimes the goal doesn't seem worth it, or the reward doesn't seem like enough, or you may doubt your ability to complete it, or you may just feel really, really tired. But just take a moment and think...what if you HAD to complete your goal this month? What if something dire was at stake? No matter how far behind you are, I'll bet you could do it, couldn't you.

I'm behind, but I pictured that scenario for a minute, and the truth is, I can do this. I can make it happen. I just need to reach deep and pull it out of myself. How about you? CAN you make your goal happen this month? How proud would you be of yourself if you did, especially if it meant overcoming some pretty huge lapses and obstacles?

I'm proud of myself for completing The Abby Grind. I'm even considering attempting The Grouse Grind.

Also, I no longer put the word hike in quotations.

Don't forget to check in over at Kim's blog tomorrow!

19 comments:

  1. What a heartfelt motivational post! It's all a mindse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Last summer, my friends talked about The Chief--without ANY warm-up when I already heard so many failed attempts at The Grouse Grind. I will definitely suggest The Abby Grind to them so we don't all collapse and clog up the path!

    Sometimes, I feel like I'm not aiming high enough with my goals. However, making realistic, attainable goals gives me a sense of accomplishment in my writing life.

    I'm going to reach my goals this month. Yes, because I have to. Not only is my GPA counting on it, but it's definitely motivating me to stay on top of crazy deadlines that I know will only get more intense as I continue my writing career.

    Here's to motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Outlook, Tonette. I think there are different seasons for everything in this business and in life. There will be times for more ambitious goals but for now, congrats on knowing what you can handle.

      Delete
  3. I think google ate my comment...trying again, lol.

    I'm going to have to dig deep to reach my goal. I'm pretty much on track right now, but I'll be working way more than usual this week. I find it tough to write after 12-hr shifts, but I'm going to have to, if I'm going to reach my goal. Thanks for the terrific motivational post, Denise!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google must enjoy eating comments. After 4 hours I think mine was breakfast. Motivation... pretty low right now, so I'm reading a book. That should kick me back into gear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For anyone else who seems to be having their comments eaten, feel free to ping me on Twitter or Facebook instead @denisejaden. Sorry about any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to make my original goal, but that's okay - I was on the wrong path, and now, I think I'm heading in the right direction. So, all is not lost, right? My longer term goal is to have a draft completed by the end of April, and that's still do-able.

    Good luck if you decide to do the Grind. I haven't done it, but I have done Nanaimo's version, which is a real killer (six hours straight up, oh joy!) But, there's something about being able to say "I did it", even if I just about blew out my Achilles in the process, hah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six hours, Yeesh! You are a better woman than I!

      And, yes, headed in the right direction is the important thing!

      Delete
    2. I failed to mention I bitched, moaned, and swore the entire way up, haha! My husband was not convinced I was any sort of better woman, let me tell you...

      Delete
  7. I thought a chapter a week was a wimpy goal, but so far I haven't even made that. I think I'm averaging about half a chapter a week, which is pretty pathetic. Giving in to the distractions around home is not a good reason, but it's the only excuse I have. Instead of writing, last night I was online exploring sources for a new kitchen light. (Like that should have taken me all evening!) I'm hoping to redeem myself with a reasonable amount of words during this last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get how you could get wrapped up in a project like remodeling your house, Carol. And at least you are still using your creative muscles!

      Delete
  8. I totally get the whole motivation thing. I've been pushing myself, trying to make my goal of 'finishing' this revision so I can start querying in May. Some days are harder than others.

    Thanks so much for doing this, Denise! It's been fun to be a part of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this has given you the push you've needed, Kim! I also most certainly would not have gotten nearly as much accomplished without MM.

      Delete
  9. Great post, Denise!

    I know there's still a week left of March Madness, but I know I'm not going to meet the goals I set for this month—and I'm okay with that. This challenge has given me the opportunity to meet other writers, and is another reminder that while writing is a solitary act, I'm not truly alone.

    That doesn't mean I'm giving up—this deadline-driven, challenge-loving chick won't accept defeat!

    Thanks for inviting me to be a part of this Denise. It's been awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad this has helped you get some work done, Dawn, even if your goals may have been too lofty for the month. It was fun to have you along!

      Delete
  10. That's awesome, Denise! And I'm just getting some feedback on another book that will help me so much! I have to push through and really go for it. That has been difficult, but no that spring break is here, I'm going to try not to squander it. My writing muscles are burning, but I'm going to push past it!

    ReplyDelete