Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Why Writing History Is Cool - A Guest Post by @Elle_Strauss

As I mentioned on Monday, my good friend Elle Strauss is releasing her first novel this week. As part of her blog tour for CLOCKWISE, she has stopped by with a guest post on writing historical fiction. Don't forget to comment on this post to be entered to win one of her fab blog tour prizes!





I suppose it's fair to say that the older I got the more interested in history I became. It's the ultimate study in human nature, how man/womankind responds to stressful, unpleasant or unusual situations and circumstances. I think this is why there is such a huge fascination with WW2. How could human beings behave that way? Some to become monsters with the desire for ethnic cleansing, and others prompted to push science to its limits by splitting the atom.

Recent history and ancient history are both fascinating to me and as a writer, delving into historical aspects for research is more than just fact finding. It's about discovering the heart of our characters in the midst. Because as much as some things change over time, especially in the areas of information and technology, the basic wants and needs of people do not. No matter how far back you search, men and women have looked for meaning and purpose in life. They've struggled with greed and lust, anger, betrayal, the desire to succeed and to be loved.

Writing historical fiction has caused me to be a continuous student. I've studied in depth subjects like ancient Rome, World War 2 and Hitler Youth. Writing time travel allows me to mix contemporary characters with my love of history. For CLOCKWISE I studied up on the civil war and another era I can't say (spoiler alert). I'm working on a companion book that's taking me into the 1950's.

It's all very interesting and exciting stuff.

How about you? Do you enjoy reading historically based fiction?

Thanks for having me guest blog today, Denise!

Elle Strauss writes time travel and merfolk chic-lit, light SF and historical YA fiction. When she’s not writing, she’s reading, hanging out with friends and family, and sometimes traveling. She has one husband, four kids and two tabby cats. To ward off writer's butt she does a bit of hiking, biking and yoga.

4 comments:

  1. Of course history is cool- it's STORY, and I've never yet met a person who is uninterested in stories. And historic fiction (or fiction that includes history) is one of the best ways to catch the bug about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never written any historical fiction, but I bet I'd love diving into the research! So much fascinating stuff to explore in different times and places.

    Loved this post -- thanks, Elle and Denise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love historical fiction because it brings the past alive when it's written well. I feel like a traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting me Denise! *waves to amo, Shari and Lynda!*

    ReplyDelete