Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Writing Prompt Wednesday: Being Late!

Well, here it is, Wednesday evening, and I still haven't gotten my writing prompt post up. I have to tell you, ever since I've been a little kid, there have been very few things that have aggravated me more than being late. I CAN'T STAND IT. It makes my blood boil and my hands sweat. It makes me drive badly (very badly).

Enter my husband, who is consistently late for everything. At first I had that swoony in-love feeling, so I figured he probably wasn't that bad all the time, and it wouldn't aggravate me too much, since I was so in love and all. But guess what? It aggravated me more. But over the years, it also has worn down an anal-retentive part of me that really was a bit too much. I mean, when I was twelve, I was half an hour early for my babysitting job just down the street. Now, believe it or not, I'm often late for things (though not ridiculously late like my husband and certainly not for important things). I still find it disrespectful when my lateness affects others, but I also don't feel I have to stress over every little thing.

All these things make up part of my character, part of who I am. So, today, think about one of your characters and how he or she handles being late. Is it a regular habit? And if so, does it affect their self-esteem? If your character does not struggle with being late, is there someone in their life who does? This can add for great added tension! Explore your character's lateness today. Has it changed over time? Why is he or she late or early or aggravated by late people? Figure this out and you'll have figured out a new piece of your character.


No comments:

Post a Comment