Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Karyn Henley and BREATH OF ANGEL!

I'm happy to welcome another Elevensie to the blog today! Karyn Henley's debut novel, BREATH OF ANGEL, releases June 21, 2011 from WaterBrook/Random House. It's a YA fantasy, for ages 14 and up.



Welcome, Karyn! Please tell me about your book in seven words or less.
Angels, immortals, romance in an ancient world.

Sounds interesting. Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in
your debut novel and why?

I like the warrior angel Jarrod, because his gruff nature hides a deep heart that struggles with love and grief and commitment to a cause.

Can you tell me a little bit more about yourself?
I grew up in treeless West Texas and now live in Tennessee. The trees are so tall and full in my back yard that I feel I’m living in a park. I write where I can watch the birds and squirrels and see the tops of the trees dance in the wind.

What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?

I was truly surprised at how long it took. In 2004, I got my MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts, where I first began writing Breath of Angel. I began shopping it around even before I graduated. It took me four years to find a great agent and another year for her to find me a publisher. Other friends published right away, and it was hard for me not to get jealous of them and discouraged about my path. Now that my novel is soon to be released, I realize I was blind to the shortcomings of my story seven years ago. It wasn’t ready. I’ve learned a lot doing the hard work necessary to get it into shape – both before and after getting an editor.

What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?

If writing is really what you want to do, be persistent, keep learning, keep writing. You’ll get there.

Great advice! Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you
give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?

Since Breath of Angel is the first book in the Angelaeon Circle series, I’m deep into revisions of book two. Breath of Angel has a female protagonist. Book two is from the point of view of the male “romantic lead.” It has been fun to see the story from his perspective. And it looks like the promotion of book one and the editing of book two will overlap.

What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?

I read more than I wrote when I was a teen. Loved fantasy, of course, as well as historical fiction and nature-logs. When I wrote, it was poetry. Haikus mostly.

What's the last book you read that you really loved?

I recently finished Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta. I was totally enthralled.

Sounds great. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today, Karyn, and all the best with your debut! If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, where should they look?

My website: www.breathofangel.com
My Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/Karyn–Henley/140411189331787?ref=ts
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/karynhenley
My Blogger: http://maybeso.wordpress.com

My LiveJournal: www.community.livejournal.com/2011debuts

No comments:

Post a Comment