Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday Musings: Quiz for #NaNoWriMo Writers

Today this has happened to me twice: I sat down to do some writing. It was hard, slogging work, but I pushed myself and eventually I got into my groove. When I was ready to stop, and feeling actually pretty good about the whole thing, I was TWO WORDS away from my next thousand on my word count.

So here's my question for you. I know what I did, because I had two cracks at it this morning, but what would you do if this were you? Would you...

1. Close your manuscript anyway, and tell yourself the word count isn't the main thing and you are still accomplished for your work today?

2. Write two words, even if they're not in context, even if they don't make sense, just to hit that next thousand?

3. Decide to write another paragraph on your story. Which leads to another. Then another. And before you know it, you're TWO WORDS away from the next thousand. Hahahaha.

I know this is a silly question, but I just wonder how many people are held captive to their word counts (like me) and how many can take it or leave it and put it out of their minds. Just curious!

3 comments:

  1. Not sure how I would add in the two words (probably by adding in another sentence if I could see an easy spot for one -- or by writing a few sentences for a new scene), but I would definitely do it. I'm giving myself a sticker for each thousand words I write and putting them on a calendar, so I would definitely want that sticker! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really look at word count unless the writing's not going well -- then I obsess, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 for sure. I love drafting, though, and I always try to go a few hundred words past my goal. I am a chronic over writer, too, though, and I like to have extra material to work with when I go to revise.

    ReplyDelete