Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Friday, January 31, 2014

Fast Fiction Friday: Love Your Work

I'll be back soon to draw a winner for the Early Copy of Fast Fiction. I've been super-busy, which means that if you haven't entered yet, you still have time!

Just like any other writer on the planet, I definitely go through times where I doubt my ability as a writer. It can be difficult to slog on through a draft or a revision when we're in that state of self-doubt. It can be even harder to write well, since confident writing is difficult to fake!

I keep a Word document file on my computer that's called "Favorite Writing," and it's made up of bits and pieces of writing I've done over the years--a paragraph or a sentence or a metaphor I particularly liked. Every once in a while, I need to open up this document. The truth is, I've trained myself in being disciplined, and I'm going to complete my daily writing no matter what. But looking over this file, remembering some of the writing that I have loved, I truly think it helps me bypass some of that garbage, I'm-a-lousy-writer-and-should-stick-to cleaning-toilets attitude that sometimes comes over me.

Do you ever take moments out to "love your work?" If not, how do you battle your self-doubt seeping into your writing?


4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of keeping a file of your "best" writing bits and pieces for times when you're confidence is lagging. I have a couple of magazine articles that I'm especially proud of. I tend to drag out the dog-eared copies and read them when I think I am useless and boring. It helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, looking at my published work is always reassuring too, Carol. It all helps!

      Delete
  2. I don't have a "favourite writing" file, but I do have a confidence-boosting file of Nice Things People Have Said About My Writing. It helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes, I have one of those too, Shari! I have an email file called "happy emails" which is mostly filled with writing praise.

      Delete