Friday, January 24, 2014

Fast Fiction Friday: When There Really IS No Time

Sometimes there really isn't any time to write. I get it. I do. I've certainly had those days or weeks, sometimes even months. In fact, I've been feeling a bit swamped lately between promotional prep for FAST FICTION, a few new homeschooling commitments, and just life commitments in general.

My first aim when I get this busy is to keep perspective. The busyness will not last forever. I know that.

Secondly, I TRY to remember to stay sensible in committing to things and prioritizing commitments. Other people will always think your commitments are super-important if it's something that involves them. But, really, I have to ask myself often if commitments are really urgent, or if I'm just taking on someone else's stress.

Once I get those two things out of the way, rather than singing the blues about my lack of writing time, I instead try to flex my brainstorming muscle. I think of ideas while I'm taxiing my son around in the car. Or when I'm running errands or in lineups. I keep an app on my phone where I input any and all ideas I come up with, so even if I'm not doing any actual writing, I still feel like I'm being creative and somewhat productive. Which, in turn, gives me a better attitude.

What do you do when you get too busy? Any tips and tricks? I'd love to hear them!


No comments:

Post a Comment