Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oh, The Irony of it All...

As many of you probably know, I'm working on revisions for one of my novels, APPETITE FOR BEAUTY at the moment. There's a lot of irony that has surrounded this process for me, and when I was telling my husband about it last night, he said, "You should blog about that!"

So here I am.

First of all, I refer to this book as "Book 2" because it seems like that's what all authors refer to their second published book as, whether it's part of a series or not, whether it's the second book they've actually written or not. But this actually IS my second book. I've written eight novels to date, and I'm always going back and revising various ones as I find inspiration. LOSING FAITH  was my fourth written novel. APPETITE FOR BEAUTY has been in the works for over six years,and so I'm *thrilled* to finally see it make its way toward publication.

But some of the process has been...interesting. First of all, I waited for a couple of months while my editor had the book to hear of whether or not they liked it. That's pretty normal. The part that's not normal? On the same day that my editor phoned to make an offer on the book, I ran into an old friend of mine who had inspired one of the main characters in the book. I hadn't seen this friend for about 20 years prior to this day! Seriously. Coincidence?

The next big irony for me was that during the revision process, which has been almost an entire rewrite of the book, I was sinking into a regular state of despair, not really believing I was capable of making the book into what my editor was looking for. And right at that time I was asked to speak to kidlit writers at a local event. The topic? Maintaining Joy on the Path Toward Publication and Beyond. Well...I did the talk. And you know what? It was very cathartic and full of perspective for me. I realized how much I really had maintained my joy, even when I didn't really see it. I realized how important my writer friends are to me. The talk actually brought me much more joy than anything else.

A couple other little interesting things concerning this book...It's another sister story. In this book the main character watches her older sister struggle with a severe eating disorder. I have not been dieting or anything, but as a byproduct of this huge revision, I suddenly started to notice how many meals I was missing unintentionally. And with that, I was dropping weight. This scared me a little, as the topic in my book is quite serious.

And finally, the other day I knocked my hand on something, I don't even remember what, and I got this little scar on my forefinger:



I don't know how well you can see it here. It's not really a big deal. It's the exact location of it that's a big deal. Much of what I've learned about eating disorders for research for my book comes from a close friend of mine who suffered for years. Something she showed me in one of her more honest moments was the scar on her hand, which she referred to as her "bulimic scar". (If you think of sticking your finger down your throat 20 times a day, you'll understand). It was in the exact same location that I now have a scar.

I believe in getting into character when I write, but this is getting ridiculous!

Anyway, I don't know what's next for the string of ironies that have been following this book, but I wanted to share those so far. Have you ever had something very interesting or too coincidental line up with the writing of one of your books?

5 comments:

  1. OK, be careful, and go have a nice snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you and wondering how the book's going. When do I get to see?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, but wonderful. I love it when little things like that happen! *cue the twilight zone music* :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's crazy! I've never heard of the bulimic scar, and it makes me sad.

    I have to tell you, I recently finished LOSING FAITH and loved it. I'm actually featuring your book in my blog post tomorrow, because your book taught me a great lesson about focus.

    Good luck with your revisions on APPETITE FOR BEAUTY!

    ReplyDelete