Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Perspective From Lisa

I wasn't going to put time into writing up any kind of lengthy blog post before I finished my revisions. However. Yesterday, I read this post by L.K. Madigan.

Now, to be perfectly honest, I don't know L.K. Madigan. I've read and loved one of her books, I've seen her around the blogosphere, but I've never actually met or exchanged emails with her. In fact, I know her so little that I did not even know her first name is Lisa.

Still, her post hit me really hard. It makes me angry when any life is cut short, but especially one that has been attacked repeatedly. The kicker in all this, is that Lisa is the person who originally started the idea of Thankful Thursday on her blog. Her first one is here. I've been using the idea of Thankful Thursday for a long time, not even knowing where it had been started.

Today I have a brand-new perspective on the idea of thankfulness. Lisa, being thankful all along the way, even in the midst of her horrible circumstances...she inspires me. I've always believed that thankfulness breeds more things to be thankful for, and I still believe that. I still believe in miracles and I still believe in prayer. I'm thankful for all of these things and I'm especially thankful I've had this glimpse into Lisa's new found perspective.

Today I'm not thinking about books or sales or if my revision will be good enough. I'm not thinking about how messy my house is or how lame my homeschool lessons have been lately. The whole thing makes me realize how deceptive and distracting everyday life can be from the things that really matter.

I'm a person of faith, and I will be sending up prayers of healing and peace and comfort for Lisa. Even if that's not something you feel you can do, I hope you'll spend some time just being thankful for what you have in Lisa's honor today. I wonder...if thousands of people around the YA-lit blogosphere all switched their perspectives to being thankful at the same time...I wonder if it would make a difference in the universe.

And what a legacy that would be for Lisa!

5 comments:

  1. I read Lisa's post yesterday and I was gutted because I didn't even know she was sick. I have to say though, this post has just made me cry. Totally agree with everything you said and my thoughts and prayers are with Lisa and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! And so true! I know that I've spent today feeling Thankful I'm healthy and my family is healthy. And I've been thinking about Lisa all day. I didn't really know Lisa, but I've met her and I've seen her many times (we go to the same book signings and run somewhat in the same circles) and I know she's a wonderful person, wonderful friend, wonderful wife and mother. My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Lisa's post yesterday too, and was very moved by it. I took it as a strong reminder to keep the right things in the right places in life. To be thankful for all the great things I have and not to dwell on what I don't. I pray along with you for grace and peace for Lisa and her family and for healing as well.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post and I, too, was touched by L.K.'s post yesterday. I was thinking of it this morning and often throughout my homeschool lessons, watching my children as they struggled with a concept or lit up when they got it right. I am sending up tons of prayer for Lisa and trying to remember to be thankful today, and everyday, in the midst of writing, homeschooling, cleaning, etc; Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa's post broke my heart. As a nurse, I hear stories like hers on a fairly regular basis, and it never fails to be utterly sobering. The frailty of life, the randomness of disease... yeah, heartbreaking. What can we do but pray?

    Thanks for your post, Denise.

    ReplyDelete