Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Would You Rather Wednesday - Goals!

We were playing a game of Scruples with our best friends over the weekend. If you've never played Scruples, it's a game where you ask each other deep ethical questions and try to predict the other's answers. Because we've known these friends for over twenty years, I admit, I thought the game would be fairly easy.

Not so! I was surprised by several answers, which got me to thinking about how little I know people and how much more I'd like to. I've always loved the study of human nature, looking for the ways we are the same, and also the ways we are all different, and so I thought it was due time for another round of Would You Rather. This one is focused on goals (more coming on that soon!)

There are no wrong answers! The only rule is, you have to choose one or the other, even if your actual answer would fall somewhere in between. So here are three Would You Rather questions for this week:

1. Would you rather... set small easy goals you know you will achieve...or...set challenging goals you probably will not achieve

2. Would you rather...tell everyone you know about your goals from when you first set them for accountability...or...keep your goals quiet until you achieve them.

3. Would you rather...conquer one goal and then move onto the next...or...have lots of goals on the go at once?

Let's play! I can't wait to hear your answers, and I'll be back to add mine to the comments later!

11 comments:

  1. 1. challenging goals
    2. keep them quiet
    3. one at a time

    If I were thinking specifically about writing, 1 and 2 might change. Or, they might not, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks for playing, Shari! I never thought to ask if this would be different for writing than for other areas. For me I think it's the same though.

      Delete
    2. I think with writing goals, my answers would be the same if I was being truly "me"...but I've seen the value of setting smaller goals and the value of accountability and mutual support, so I will often push myself out of my natural tendencies when it comes to writing-related goals.

      Delete
  2. 1. Small easy, achievable
    2. Tell. It helps me to be accountable
    3. Lots of goals all at once. I'm so ADD. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of these answers surprise me.

      Thanks for playing!

      Delete
  3. Weirdly, I'm the same as Shari and the complete opposite of Angelina...

    1. Challenging goals because achieving them always comes with a huge feeling of completeness/relief (good relief, not this-has-been-insanely-stressful relief).
    2. Keeping goals quiet/personal... I don't like to be accountable to others when I fail.
    3. One at a time. Otherwise I get too overwhelmed and can't focus well on anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the feeling of completeness and especially relief.

      Thanks for playing!

      Delete
  4. 1. I prefer small easy goals but frequently do the opposite in my head.

    2. Tell everyone! It gives me energy.

    3. One at a time, otherwise I lose all energy and sit around saying "I can't do this!" Again, my preference and my reality don't always correspond. LOL

    Great questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah, my preference and reality rarely correspond!

      Thanks for playing!

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm back to give my answers...

    1. Challenging goals. I have a horrible habit of setting over-the-top goals, because those are the ones that really motivate me. One year NaNoWriMo wasn’t enough for me, so I set the goal to write TWO novels in a month (they were both horrible and will never see the light of day, so it's not like this method works for me or anything.)

    2. You know me...I like to shout things from the rooftops! I think this is because I am a very driven person by nature and I want to use every available tool to help me reach my goals. Accountability is definitely one of those tools.

    3. Many, many, many (many many many) goals at once! To a stupid degree. I have goals going on all over the place in every area. So many, I lose track and forget about some. For my linear, singly-focused brain, this is strange and I don't[ have a clue why I do this. But I do it anyway. I set goals about when I’m going to eat breakfast, for goodness sake. It’s stupid. I should really change this. Doesn’t mean I will...

    Thanks so much for playing, everybody! It’s been great to get to know you more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It’s stupid. I should really change this." -- And therein lies your next goal, lol.

      Thanks for doing this WYR. It's interesting to read other people's answers, and it's good to have to come up with my own!

      Delete