Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Monday, February 20, 2012

March Madness Writing, Reading, and Blogging Challenge!

It’s almost March and time for an Almost-Nano Challenge! If you have a writing project you’re ready to start, or a work in progress you’re ready to finish, come and join the fun. Accountability is our main aim and the more support we have, the easier it will be to sail on through the month of March, bouncing along on each others successes.

  And, like last year, we're opening up March Madness to readers who want to challenge themselves to read more, bloggers who want to challenge themselves to blog more, and illustrators who want to challenge themselves to illustrate more! Basically, anything to do with books!

And did I mention there will be PRIZES? Prizes will not be awarded based on how much you write, read, draw, or blog, but simply on how involved you are in the Big Accountability Plan. There will be check-in points every day through the month of March. Each time you check in and record your progress, your name will be entered into a draw for some great prizes, including some high demand books, e-books, and even agent critiques! And not only that, but the more you encourage others along the way (in the comments), the more times your name will go into the hat!

Spread the word, and check out http://www.denisejaden.com/Blog.html Wednesday, February 29th, to put your goals officially in writing and find out the locations of the check-in points. If you’re ready to get serious, don’t do it alone…Get serious with us!

Now is the time to be setting your Ambitious Goals for the month of March! (Trust me, you will be able to accomplish much more than normal with the added camaraderie and support, so don't be afraid to set the bar a little higher.) Start meeting up with us on Twitter under the hashtag #wipmadness .

I'll tell you my "official" goals for this March on the 29th, but for now, I'd just like to share a little about my goals from last year's March Madness. Here is what I put in writing last year:

Get up half an hour earlier and write first thing each day. Turn off the Internet for morning writing. Finish my revision of FINDING HOPE (I'm about 10 chapters in right now) and send it off to critique partners. Write a synopsis for the book. Complete my next revision for my editor on APPETITE FOR BEAUTY.

I know as writers, we can tend to think that other writers have an easier time than us. We see people breaking ridiculously high word-count goals, or selling books they seem to have just started writing. But I want to share a little secret: It's hard for all of us. It really is. Some people just hide their difficulties better than others. I'll be sharing my full goals on the 29th, but with that said, I'll admit that I'm working on the exact same book as I did during March Madness last year. I'm scrapping last year's version, working off of a brand new outline, and basically starting from scratch. Whew! I've put it in writing. Now you'll hold me to it, right?

Please spread the word about this Challenge. There will be lots to win throughout the month and the more support we have, the better all of our goals will go this month! Let me just show you a little peek at some of the books I'll be letting you choose from (don't worry if you can't see. I'll have them listed on the 29th), but believe me there will be many more prizes yet to come!



So check back in here February 29th. If you're such a proud participant that you want to let everyone know, grab the March Madness badge from the sidebar (Thanks to Anne Hale for that!) and put it somewhere prominent.

Everyone is welcome and the more the merrier! Let's march into March like the mad group of writers we are!!!

25 comments:

  1. THIS IS SO AWSOME!March sure is going to be an interesting month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing... I was just telling my writer friends I was going to do a NaNo in March. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! November seems so long ago now, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. So exciting!!! It's gonna be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't be the same without you, Shari!

      Delete
  4. Awesome, Denise! Thanks for sharing your goals for this time around. They actually gave me a jump, lol...something that has been on my mind a lot lately is scrapping a wip old version and starting it all over..eek, so reading that you were doing that...anyhow, still not sure. Maybe waiting for someone to come along with a 2 by 4?

    Best to you with your goal and thanks for organizing us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT!!! I need to have someone in this particular trench with me...pretty please!

      Delete
    2. I am doing it man. Move over (and out) first draft...new first draft needs that space.

      Delete
    3. Yay!!! We're in it together now...

      Delete
  5. Oooooh, yaaaay! So glad you'll be running this another year! Looking forward to hanging out with you all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you'll be joining us again, Kip!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Oh, it will be! Trust me, even when the writing is not fun, we are a very lively bunch :)

      Delete
  7. I'm so in! I just started planning my next/second manuscript last night so this is kind of perfect timing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I'm in! I need to work on revising this sh**y draft and also hopefully start working on book two of a series. I love the getting up a half hour earlier and just writing. Will include that in my goal! Also will spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know ALL about Sh**y drafts! Glad to have you along :)

      Delete
  9. Hi! I don't have a writing community yet and I came across this page. I just recently decided that it was possible to write my first novel in this stage of life (3 kids 5 and under). I did Nano last fall and I've been writing steadily since then. I would love to have some support. I would love a chance to get to know some other authors. I'm currently writing a YA fantasy. I'm about halfway through the first draft and I'd like to finish it within the next few months. Anyway, this sounds like a great motivation, so thanks for setting it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to have you along with us, Lissa! There are some great writers/great people involved this year, and I have no doubt you'll make some fast friends. Make sure to check back here on Feb. 29th for the official goal-setting day!

      Delete
  10. Count me in, please! I've been revising my manuscript for a while now, and it'll be fun to work alongside others who are in the same boat...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is exactly what I need! I got through Nano and have been dragging my feet on revisions. Thanks so much for the accountablity :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm kicking and screaming my way into it this year, but yeah, I guess I'm in. (Don't I sound enthusiastic?) I need some motivation to pick up my writing pace. Been lagging badly. So I'll be back tomorrow to sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm following Carol here. Had I not seen her blog post, I'd not have known about this. Will be archiving some of my email for later reading til the end of March. Meantime, I have to put some do-able goals in writing.

    ReplyDelete