Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

What Do You Love About YOUR Writing?

As writers, I think we spend a lot of time thinking about the areas we need to improve. And that's necessary, it really is, but I don't think we take enough time to balance out the scale and spend some focus on what we do well. Many a motivational speaker will tell you that what you focus on will be what flourishes in your life, and so it makes sense that if all we ever do is pick ourselves apart, our faults might just get worse instead of better.

It's hard to give ourselves compliments, I know. But I'll start, and I encourage you to think about your strengths as a writer (and if you're really brave to share them in the comments.)

So here I go. I wish I could....

Nope, see I started off wrong already! Maybe we'll revisit writerly faults another day, (and believe me, there are many) but not today. To be perfectly honest, I've been working on my March Madness goals and going through some stuff with one manuscript in particular, and I need this self-pep-talk today. So here we go again. The good stuff. The stuff I like about my writing and my process. Focusing on the good in hopes it will multiiply...

I love my characters. I think they're deep and likeable and for the most part, fully rounded.
I'm a quick writer and also a quick reviser. I spend lots of time thinking, and then when I sit down at the computer, I get get a lot done in just an hour.
I love researching the settings of my books, and I think it comes through in the final product.
I think I'm good at writing romance and also mysteries (even though they still scare the crap out of me at the onset!)
Even in my serious fiction, I can organically drop in some humor.
I know how to persevere. Even with novels that looked like they might never come together, I've been able to stick with them until they eventually did.
I think I have a good writing voice that generally comes fairly natural to me. This is a big wide-open topic, but I'd say specifically that I like the authenticity and musicality of my writing voice. 
I bounce back from criticism pretty well. Sure, it affects me, just like everyone, because I care about my characters and my stories. But after it settles in, I seem to be able to separate myself from it and implement it without offense to make my books better. I think I'm fairly good at that.

Okay! Your turn! What do you love most about YOUR writing???

6 comments:

  1. Dialogue. I love writing dialogue. I think I'm pretty good at it. And once I settle in to the voice of my characters I usually do okay there as well. Boy, it's hard to stop right here and not downplay my bragging by saying what I'm not so good at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It is so hard to speak the positive, and for every time I started to come up with a "But" I made myself list one more thing.

      Delete
  2. I love my dialogue. I may not be the best at description (but I'm improving!) but I can write quick, snarky dialogue that keeps the story moving and draws you right into the characters. I also tend to write characters that are innately good people, even if it's not obvious at first from the outside. I believe there are enough people walking around in pain. I like to draw relateable characters that can offer hope. Okay, that felt weird to compliment myself...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dialogue is a popular one! Thanks for sharing, and yes, it is refreshing to read about good people :-)

      Delete
  3. This is great! Something we need to think about that definitely gets overlooked. For my answers, I wrote a blog post: http://www.chelseamcampbell.com/?p=626

    ReplyDelete