Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Guadalupe Garcia McCall

Want to know what's coming up in Young Adult and Middle Grade Fiction? Teen Author Tuesday highlights some of the best up and coming authors!


Today I'm excited to welcome another fellow Tenner, Guadalupe Garcia McCall. Her debut novel, UNDER THE MESQUITE, releases in Fall 2010 from Lee & Low Books. It's a Contemporary Multicultural YA novel.


Welcome, Guadalupe! Can you tell me about your book in seven words or less?
Immigrating, Dreams, Family, Friendship, Loss, Faith, Hope

Those are some serious subjects! I look forward to it. Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in your debut novel and why?

Papi, because he doesn't agree with some of the things that Lupita decides to do but he is ultimately supportive of her (even though it hurts him to be supportive), and that's hard to do as a parent.

Can you share a bit about yourself with my readers?

Under the Mesquite was easy to write...the words just poured out of me, but it was also hard to write because some of it was coming from a very deep place, a place that is still raw with emotion. My work in progress, Six Little Sisters, is like that too...easy but hard. So in a strange way, I feel blessed as a writer.

It's always interesting to hear the story behind the story. Thanks for sharing. What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?
The most surprising thing has been how very much I have in common with other writers. When I go to the Tenners website, meet other writers, and read/write about our journeys, our writer's angst, we are all alike in many ways.

Amen to that! What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?

I heard it somewhere and it's true...Buttocks in Chair...it's the only way. It's not going to get itself written. Also, we success only at what we work at...so give it your full attention.

Great advice, Guadalupe. Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?

Right now I am in deep revision of Six Little Sisters. It's the story of 6 girls who are on a personal journey to find something that is missing in their lives. It's a story about love, family, and personal/spiritual growth.


Sounds wonderful! What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?

I've always been a poet. So as a teen, I wrote poetry for my friends, flowery/metaphorical love poems to send to their boyfriends..who probably didn't "get it." But I also scribbled emotional love stories to entertain my friends. It's what was "selling" if you know what I mean. I was writing to the market.

That's great. What's the last book you read that you really loved?

OH MY GOD! I loved The Dark Divine. It was such a fun read... I read it in one day! But right now, I am reading The Red Umbrella and it's very, very good, on a deeper, more substantial level. I better finish soon, because Tortilla Sun is calling my name.

All three of those books are winners, in my opinion - and it's great to hear of so much excitement over Tenner books! If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, where should they look?

Great! Thanks so much for visiting, Guadalupe, and all the very best with your upcoming release!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good! She hooked me at immigrating and dreams!

    ReplyDelete