Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Mindi Scott!

Teen Author Tuesday is a regular feature, bringing you today's hottest and up-and-coming authors who write for teens.


Today I'm excited to welcome my author-friend and Pulse-sister, Mindi Scott. Mindi and I made the trek toward debut publication together and I have LOVED having her company to chat with about the very windy and emotional road.

Mindi's debut novel, FREEFALL, releases October 5th (today!) from Simon Pulse / Simon & Schuster. It is contemporary YA for ages 14 and up. I had an opportunity to read an advance copy of this book, and let me tell you, it is made of awesome!



Welcome, Mindi! Can you tell me about your book in seven words or less?
Loss, communication, love, and overcoming fears

Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in your debut novel and why?
It's hard to choose only one, but Kendall Eckman was definitely a lot of fun to write. She and the main character, Seth, have a long, rocky history and she has more ways of annoying him than anyone!

Great. Can you tell my readers a bit about yourself? 
At age 22, I developed a fear of the dark after watching the movies DISTURBING BEHAVIOR and THE SIXTH SENSE the same day. Somehow, I cured myself about a year later by watching the first 100 episodes of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.


Ha, that's great! What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?
Revisions were surprising. I thought I was going to be given a list that said: "Fix this stuff like this." Instead, it was more of a soul-searching process on my part. I was given a lot more freedom than I'd expected.

Interesting. What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?
When you get suggestions from critique partners that you absolutely refuse to implement, take a few days (or more) to consider why your reaction is so strong. Sometimes the feedback that makes writers angry is the stuff that they really know deep, deep down needs to change.

Ah, great advice! Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?
I'm pretty much swept up! I am working on something new, though. Another dark, contemporary YA, this one from a girl's POV.

I'll look forward to it! What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?
I wrote whatever was required for homework and kept journals from ages 13 to 16 (from which I'm posting excerpts at my website). I was also a letter writer. I always wrote notes in class and during the weekends.


What's the last book you read that you really loved?
FLASH BURNOUT by L.K. Madigan

I totally agree. Hilarious. If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, where should they look?


 Awesome! (And what a great picture!) Thanks so much for dropping by my blog, Mindi, and all the very best with your release!

1 comment: