Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Teen Author Tuesday - My Picks!

Since I don't have a guest to feature this Tuesday, I thought I'd instead mention a couple of books I'm looking forward to picking up in the next season. I have lots and lots of wants right now, but I'm going to try to keep this to two for this week...



ACROSS THE UNIVERSE by Beth Revis. A lot of people are talking about this book, but that's not why I want to read it. First of all, here's the summary from GoodReads:

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.
Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next.
Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Now to be perfectly honest, I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, and when I first heard that this book takes place on a spaceship, that was definitely not the point that lured me in. Here are my main reasons for wanting this book:

I first heard about Beth on Miss Snarks First Victim, which I believe had a big hand in helping her find her agent and get her start in publishing. I feel a bit of kinship with her in that way, and I've been looking forward to picking up her book since I first saw an interview with her there.

Secondly, my awesome critique partner, Shana Silver, recommended it. Now, I don't take all book recommendations from everyone. But years ago, I swore I would never like a vampire book and Shana handed me Twilight and said, "trust me." And okay, she was right. I did enjoy it. And with this book, ACROSS THE UNIVERSE, she started her sentence with, "I know it's on a spaceship, but..." So I know she gets where I'm coming from. She knows what I like and believes I will like this. So I trust her. And I'll be looking to pick up a copy of this one soon.



INVINCIBLE SUMMER by Hannah Moskowitz. This one's not out until April, but I'm already pining for it. Why? First of all because I love Hannah Moskowitz. Not in a weird way. Just in kind of a fangirl, I-know-I-will-love-anything-she-writes, sort of way. If I had more time to read blogs, I would definitely read hers.

PLUS...Hannah and I share the same fantabulous editor at Simon Pulse, and I pretty much love everything my editor loves, and I've been hearing great things about this book for a while. So it's definitely on my list.

Here's the bit from GoodReads:

Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss?
Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive....



Can't do it. Can't constrain myself to two. Here's one more I'm super-eager to read...


POSSESSION by Elana Johnson. Ditto everything I said above about loving everything my fantabulous editor loves...and this is another book she's helped to shape. So yeah. I want.


Here's the synopsis from GoodReads:


Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.



Go ahead, just try to tell me that doesn't sound like pure awesomeness. It's not out until June, which is closer to summer I guess, but I'm already pining away...


Those are just three, but I could go on and on. Okay, your turn. Which spring 2011 books are you looking forward to?

2 comments:

  1. great picks! I'm looking forward to reading AtU and Possession. Until now, I hadn't heard of Invincible Summer. The cover makes me think of warmer weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got to read Across the Universe...Even if you're not a fan of sci-fi. Because it's not really all that sci-fi, I don't think. It's just awesome. Let us know if you end up reading it. I'd love to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete