Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Amy Holder and THE LIPSTICK LAWS!

I'm thrilled to welcome another writer friend of mine to the blog today, Amy Holder. I can't believe her release date is finally here! I've been watching her go through and nerve-wracking process of waiting to see that first book on the shelves, and now that it's here, I cannot wait to get my hands on a copy!


THE LIPSTICK LAWS was released April 4, 2011 from Graphia/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. It is Contemporary YA for ages 12 and up.



Welcome Amy! Can you tell me about your book in seven words or less?
Humorous coming-of-age story about popularity gone wrong. (Oops! That's nine words...can I count coming-of-age as one? lol)

Judges, can we allow that? Sure! Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in your debut novel and why?
I had a lot of fun writing Britney’s character because it was entertaining to be able to create and write a villain. But, my favorite character (other than April) has to be Delvin. He’s so awkwardly sweet, well-meaning and genuine… I wish I could pick him out of my story and be friends with him in real life.

Can you tell my readers a little bit about yourself, Amy?
I’m a huge animal lover with an affinity for chocolate, laughing, art, my CHI hair straightener, and having fun. I’m originally from upstate New York (close to the setting of THE LIPSTICK LAWS), but I currently reside in the Philadelphia area with my verbally challenged sidekicks (pets). 



What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?
One of the most surprising things has been realizing the amount of time and steps that go into making a manuscript a published book. There are so many people involved in a book’s publication (author, editor, copy editor, proofreader, cover designer, marketing team, publicist, etc, etc.), it’s amazing how much effort is put into each book that’s published every year. I have a whole new respect for each and every book that’s ever been published.

Yes, that was shocking to me too! What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?
Never give up! The road to publication is a bumpy one…and the bumps don’t necessarily end when you secure a book deal. You have to have determination, perseverance and the talent to back up your ambition in order to succeed.

Great advice! Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?
Getting ready for my upcoming release has sucked up most of my free time, but I am working on another humorous YA manuscript as much as I can when I have time.

What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?
I wrote angst-ridden poetry that would be fully deserving of an emo-rific award! It was filled with teen torture (my own inner torture, not torturing teens…just had to clear that up ), philosophical questions, gushing over teen love…and then venting over a broken heart. Yes, I was very overdramatic and set on a path to write tragedies. I’m not quite sure what happened between then and now.

What's the last book you read that you really loved?
Well, that’s an easy one! LOSING FAITH by Denise Jaden, of course!

Aw, you just made my day! If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, Amy, where should they look?
Please visit my author website to find out more information about me, my book(s), upcoming events and more at www.amyholder.com

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting, Amy, and all the very best with your debut!

2 comments:

  1. Great interview! And, I loved The Lipstick Laws!

    ReplyDelete