Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Amy Brecount White!

Today is one of my favorite Tuesdays. Today I get to welcome one of my awesome critique partners, whose first novel, FORGET-HER-NOTS, was released March, 2010 from Greenwillow/HarperCollins and is already in its third printing! It is Magic Realism YA for ages 12 and up. Amy is a super-sweet person, and one of those who gives authors, specifically YA authors, a good name.


Isn't that cover just gorgeous? Welcome, Amy! So glad you could stop by.Can you tell my readers about your book in seven words or less.
Language of flowers, loss, memories, friendship, romance, prom.


Perfect. Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in your debut novel and why?

Rose, my main character Laurel’s older cousin, because she’s smart, sassy, and snarky but with a heart of gold.


Love those snarky girls! Can you tell my readers a little about yourself, Amy?

I love to be outdoors, particularly if there’s something blooming nearby. I think writing novels is like putting together a very, tricky puzzle. I love reading ARCs, rollerblading, biking, and hanging out with my family.


What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?

How much time it took; it was a long and winding road with lots of potholes. Also, I was surprised by how many writers have an “apprentice” novel under their beds they never sold.


Only ONE apprentice novel? LOL. What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?

Write yourself a note at the end of every writing day, so you know exactly where to start the next day. Otherwise, I find myself staring at a blank screen or endlessly revising the same passage. In a first draft especially, you need to keep moving forward.


Great advice, Amy! Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?

I’m definitely still chin-deep in promo, but excited about my second novel, which I’m finishing up. It’s called String Theories and has nothing to do with flowers. It’s about a girl who gets in over her head, a stream, the physics of relationships, and getting even.


I've read it folks, and it's awesome. Can't wait to see that one on the shelves, Amy! What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?

I didn’t write much at all until college when I started journaling and writing short stories. I was very busy with school, sports, and extra curricular stuff, so I spent any free time reading.

What's the last book you read that you really loved?

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff. I really loved the character of Mackie – a strong and believable male voice. A great twist on paranormal.


I'll have to add that to my TBR list. If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, where should they look?


 Thanks so much for dropping by, Amy. I wish you much success in your writing career. And for my readers...if you haven't picked up your copy of FORGET-HER-NOTS, what are you waiting for? You can find it wherever books are sold. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview Denise and Amy. And congrats on your book, Amy! Loved your advice:

    "Write yourself a note at the end of every writing day, so you know exactly where to start the next day."

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the interview! The cover is really quite pretty, isn't it? I have to wonder how nice it would look in person. I think I'll have to get this in HC...

    Wow, can't wait for String Theories also. Sounds interesting.

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely interview, Denise and Amy! How is it that I didn't know you were critique partners? You both lucked out!

    Forget-Her-Nots is on top of my pile, Amy, and I can't wait.

    Hugs - j

    ReplyDelete