Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Anastasia Hopcus!

Another Tenner has come to hit the Teen Author Tuesday platform this week. Anastasia Hopcus is super-nice (I met her recently in New York) and her hair is even more electrifying in person than it is in pictures! Her debut novel, SHADOW HILLS, releases today, July 13th, from Egmont USA. It is a  Paranormal YA for ages 12 and up



Welcome, Anastasia. Can you tell us about your book in seven words or less.
Boarding school, mystery, cemetery, Greek mythology, epidemic


Oooh, sounds great! Other than your main character, who's a favorite character of yours in your debut novel and why?
I love Adriana. She just says whatever comes into her head and doesn’t over-think everything like I do. It’s great to write her and be completely free of that analytical mindset.


I love those characters who have more guts than I do. Can you tell us about one of your pet peeves?

One of my biggest pet peeves is when a character on TV goes to a bar and orders “two beers” and the bartender just hands them some random beer. As someone who used to bartend, I can tell you I’ve never seen this happen. What customer is just fine with whatever beer some stranger chooses for them? Even if they don’t care about the difference in taste between PBR and Guinness, they’re going to care about the difference in price.

What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?
The YA book blogs were a fantastic surprise. It was only after I joined the 10’ers that I found out about book blogging. It was amazing to see how dedicated the bloggers were to encouraging reading & helping authors promote their books. It’s awesome!

I couldn't agree more. What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?
It’s probably the most common advice, but I think it’s also the best: be persistent. Just keep writing and revising and submitting your work. If you are committed, I believe you can eventually achieve your goals.


Great advice! Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?
I can’t really say too much about the project I’m working on now, as nothing is set in stone, but I’m definitely interested in exploring Zach’s and Phe’s story further. The newest idea I’m developing is a historical YA set in the time of Byron and Shelley.


Sounds interesting! What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?

I mostly wrote short stories and started, but never finished, several screen plays. I always thought my problem was a short attention span, but it turns out I’m just better suited for novels. No one was more surprised than me to learn that I can’t write a book and have it clock in at less than 100,000 words.

What's the last book you read that you really loved?
I love many, many books, but my most recent obsession is Shade by Jeri-Smith Ready. The Body Finder was also fantastic, and I haven’t finished Paranormalcy yet (I haven’t had a lot of time to read) but it is so incredibly good! I’ve been really impressed by all the 10’ers books I’ve read so far---2010 is an awesome year for YA!


Shade is next on my TBR pile - I can't wait. If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, Anastasia, where should they look?



 And just for fun, I'm going to leave you with the awesome SHADOW HILLS trailer. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love the hair! And love the bar pet-peeve . . . hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a historical YA set in the time of Byron and Shelley is definitely something i would read

    ReplyDelete