Join my Mailing List for Free Books!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Laura Toffler-Corrie

I'm happy to welcome another fellow Tenner, a debut author who writes for teens, Laura Toffler-Corrie. Her book, THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF AMY FINAWITZ, is due out August 3rd, 2010 (today!) from Roaring Brook Press, MacMillan. It is contemporary, upper middle grade/lower young adult.


Welcome, Laura! Can you tell me about your book in seven words or less?

Smart ass girl, cool Manhattan, unlikely friendships.

Sounds great! Other than your main character, who’s a favorite character of yours in your debut novel and why?

Beryl Plotsky, the Hasidic (orthodox Jewish) boy who travels around Manhattan with Amy to help her with her immigrant journal school assignment and develops a crush on her. He’s old fashioned, somewhat dogmatic and completely exasperating, but he has a good heart.

And can you tell my readers a bit about yourself, Laura?

Things I don‘t like: the computer doesn’t write stories itself, my parrot tells me to shut up, winter is too cold, summer is too hot, too many chai lattes make me nauseous.
Things I like: the computer has a backspace, my parrot asks for a kiss then makes a kissing sound, my pool, the writing salon that is my local Starbucks.

I SO want your parrot! What’s been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?

That there actually is a path to publication and that I’m on it.

Ha. I'm with you there! What’s one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?

I would say, read the signs on your journey and be flexible. For example, if your book isn’t singing to you, or anyone else, shelve it and go onto something else. If your agent is Aunt Fanny’s second cousin who claims to know Stephen King but can’t sell your work, move on. Don’t get stuck, feel discouraged and give up, just keep adjusting your approach.

Great advice! What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry? Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?

I wrote poetry as a young kid, mostly stuff about clouds. Then by about ten or eleven the poems morphed into stuff about the meaning of life, death, the universe (aka - crap). But I think my best writing started around sixth grade and was in the form of plays, poems and satirical short stories. My friend and I wrote back and forth to each other as a lark; just bits about our lives, boys, family. This went on from Middle School all the way through college (I was downtown at NYU and she was uptown at Columbia). These correspondences were the inspiration for AMY FINAWITZ.

What’s the last book you read that you really loved?

Well, I’ll always love CATCHER IN THE RYE but, recently, probably ELSEWHERE. Simple, haunting and poignant. It really stayed with me. I’m in awe of THE HUNGER GAMES. Masterful on every level from start to finish. Brilliant. ANGUS, THONGS AND FULL FRONTAL SNOGGING made me laugh out loud.

I'll have to add those to my list (I think I'm the only human over the age of 12 who hasn't read CATCHER IN THE RYE yet). If readers want to find out more about your writing, Laura, where should they look? 
My website: www.lauratoffler-corrie.com, (my blog is there)

Thanks so much for joining me today, Laura. And for my readers, if you'd like to pick up a copy of 
THE LIFE AND OPINIONS OF AMY FINAWITZ, you can find it on Amazon or at your local independent retailer.

1 comment:

  1. I love Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging. Too funny! Need to read the rest though. :-)

    Nice interview. The book sounds cute. I didn't write stories with friends but we used to pass notes all the time in high school and I kept pretty much all of them.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete