Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Teen Author Tuesday Presents Holly Cupala!

I'm thrilled to welcome another author-friend of mine who writes for teens, Holly Cupala! I was fortunate enough to meet Holly during BEA earlier this year, and if her name sounds familiar, it's because her debut novel TELL ME A SECRET has been turning a lot of heads in the last few months. TELL ME A SECRET was released in June from HarperTeen, and it's for ages 14 and up.



What a great cover, right?! Welcome Holly! Can you tell me about your book in seven words or less.

Sisters, secrets, superhot sci-fi guy, family, forgiveness.


Okay, I can't wait for the superhot sci-fi guy! Other than your main character, Miranda, who's a favorite character of yours in TELL ME A SECRET and why?

I think Miranda’s sister, Xanda, who has died in a mysterious and tragic accident before TMAS begins, might be my favorite—maybe because, like Miranda, I find her fascinating! Maybe someday she’ll have her own story.


Oooh, that would be great! Can you tell my readers a little about yourself?

I’m half artsy and thoughtful and introverted, half goofy and brave and outrageous. One or the other of those halves is always getting me into trouble.


What's been the most surprising thing about your path to publication so far?

The readers! It’s been incredibly amazing to me that such a personal story could captivate readers and become meaningful to them on all kinds of levels. They bring as much to the story as I did.


So true! What's one piece of writing advice you would give to aspiring authors?

Write as honestly as you can the first time - you can always refine it, but it's hard to recapture that raw truthfulness in revisions.


Great advice, Holly! Are you swept up with promotion for your debut book right now or can you give us a sentence or two about something new you're working on?

Uh…both?! My second YA, STREET CREED, is slated for Fall 2011 – it’s about a suburban girl who leaves a wake of secrets to live on the streets of Seattle with a band of homeless teens…and a boy called Creed. It’s…sigh. So dreamy, and gritty, and I can’t wait to share it!


Oh, that sounds awesome! What did you write when you were a teen? Did you journal? Write poetry?
Write overly literary or emotional stories? Or avoid writing altogether?
I wrote two teen romances in eighth grade, before I ever experienced teen romance. After that, it was all deeply tragic poetry and stories. I got a perfect score on my senior project, the saga of teens on both sides of the Irish conflict, including kissing and corpses, called “When Roses Bleed.” It was…yes, I think “deeply tragic” is probably the best way to put it!


What's the last book you read that you really loved?

I loved Adios, Nirvana, by Conrad Wesselhoeft, which comes out from Houghton Mifflin in October. Intense and hopeful—with a cameo from Eddie Vedder! Exquisite.


I'll have to add that to my list! If readers want to find out more about you and your writing, Holly, where should they look?

My website/blog: www.hollycupala.com
TMAS official site (including the free serialized audiobook read by amazing actor Jenna Lamia!): www.tellmeasecretnovel.com


Great! Thanks so much for joining me today, Holly. And for the rest of you...I'll leave you with a little peek at the TELL ME A SECRET book trailer:


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I saw Holly speak at the Western Washington conference and have been looking forward to this book ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading great reviews of this book all around the YA blogger world. I still don't have my hands on it but it is on my TBR list. Holly's next books sounds very intriguing. Can't wait to hear even more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like one to add to my tbr pile. :) Thanks for the interesting interview.
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at that seven words or less sentence! I'm putting this on my to buy list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fan girl <3 Holly and Tell Me a Secret!!

    ReplyDelete